September is here and it is better breakfast month! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but how do you stay on track with a busy life? This month we will be focusing on starting our day off right with a good, healthy breakfast. We’ve put together a few recipes that are simple and quick. Our recipes aren’t too complicated and have very simple ingredients and easy directions. You have no excuse not to try these out.
Avocado Toast With Sunny Side Egg
- 1 slice whole grain bread, toasted (1.5 oz)
- 1 oz mashed (1/4 small haas) avocado
- cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- hot sauce (optional)
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over low heat, spray with oil and gently crack the egg into the skillet. Cover and cook to your liking.
- Place mashed avocado over toast, top with egg, salt and pepper and hot sauce if desired!
Strawberry Peanut Butter Swirl Smoothie Bowl
INGREDIENTS: (2 servings)
- 3 tablespoons (25 g) peanut butter (or almond butter), divided
- 1 cup (240 ml) almond milk
- 1 cup (150 g) frozen strawberries
- 1 small banana
- pinch of ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- sliced straberries or bananas
- slivered almonds
- chia seeds or flax seeds
- drizzle of maple syrup
- drizzle of almond or coconut milk
- In a blender, add 2 tablespoons of the nut butter, almond milk, strawberries, banana, ginger, cinnamon, honey or maple syrup and blend until smooth and pour into 2 serving bowls.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the remaining tablespoon nut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds or less. Whisk and drizzle over each bowl.
- Top the bowls with your desired toppings.
Chorizo and Egg White Breakfast Burrito
- 2 oz chorizo, skin removed, sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- 2 high fiber low carb whole wheat wraps
- In a small bowl combine egg whites, egg, salt and pepper and whisk well.
- In a medium saute pan, heat on medium heat.
- Add chorizo and cook about 1 minute on each side until slightly browned.
- Add vinegar and cook another minute to reduce.
- Add eggs to the pan and scramble until cooked, stirring often.
- Serve on a low carb high fiber tortilla.
(Recipes courtesy of www.skinnytaste.com)