Summer is right around the corner and we want to enjoy ourselves but not over indulge. Here are some of our favorite healthy recipes for this Memorial Day weekend!
Grilled Salmon Kebabs
(Total time 30 minutes)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless wild salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 lemons, very thinly sliced into rounds
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 16 bamboo skewers soaked in water 1 hour
- Heat the grill on medium heat and spray the grates with oil.
- Mix oregano, sesame seeds, cumin, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl to combine; set spice mixture aside.
- Beginning and ending with salmon, thread salmon and folded lemon slices onto 8 pairs of parallel skewers to make 8 kebabs total.
- Spray the fish lightly with oil and season kosher salt and the reserved spice mixture.
- Grill the fish, turning occasionally, until fish is opaque throughout, about 8 to 10 minutes total.
Grilled Chicken Salad with Strawberries and Spinach
(Total time 20 minutes)
(For the dressing):
- 3 tbsp golden balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
(For the chicken):
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, to taste
(For the salad):
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- For the chicken: Season chicken with seasoned salt, then mix in crushed garlic.
- Light the grill or indoor grill pan on medium heat, when hot spray the grates with oil and grill the chicken about 10 to 11 minutes on each side until charred on the outside and cooked through in the center. Set aside on a cutting board and slice on an angle.
In a large bowl toss the spinach with the dressing. Divide between 4 plates and top with strawberries, goat cheese and
Looking for a signature drink for summer of 2018. Try this refreshing cocktail made with muddled cucumbers, basil, lemon juice, gin and a splash of seltzer.
Basil-Cucumber Gin Cooler
(Total time 10 minutes)
- 2-inch piece of cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 1/2 oz gin
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ice cubes
- splash of seltzer
- 1 thin slice lemon, for garnish
- 1 thin slice cucumber, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the chopped cucumber, lemon zest, basil and agave.
- Add the gin, lemon juice and ice cubes and stir 10 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice cubes and top with seltzer.
- Garnish with lemon and cucumber and serve.