Beef stew is the perfect comfort food on any day. Try our version that requires no flour. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds beef for stew
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp beef tallow, olive oil, or coconut oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 red potatoes, halved
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 5 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, stem removed
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp water
- Season beef with salt and black pepper.
- Heat beef tallow or oil and cook beef (in slow-cooker or in a separate pan) for approximately 10 minutes until browned.
- Stir broth, potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, and thyme in pot. Cover and slow cook on low for 7–9 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Stir in peas during last 10 minutes of cooking time. Remove bay leaves.
- Immediately before serving, make arrowroot slurry by mixing water with arrowroot powder. Add half of the slurry to stew and stir. Add more or less depending on desired thickness (keep in mind that the stew will continue to thicken over the next 10 minutes).