- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1/2 bulb of fennel, finely diced
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, lightly chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, minced
- Small handful of basil leaves, cut into strips
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add dry quinoa to a heavy skillet over medium heat and toast it for about 4 minutes, or until quinoa is light brown and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Put the quinoa into the saucepan and bring the boiling water to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 14 to 16 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and almost all of the water has been absorbed.
- Spoon the quinoa out onto a plate or baking sheet to cool. Fluff with a fork to allow air to circulate.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve chilled or at room temperature.